Thursday, September 8, 2011

Wind Horse to the Rescue

Another workshop, another day. This one was in Cloudcroft, New Mexico, hosted by the local arts group. The lady teaching the one-day class had been painting and teaching for a long time, and had a loyal following.

Although I don't recall any of the instruction, or what she was trying to impart to us that day, I do remember she wanted us to paint a floral in a way that was unfamiliar and uncomfortable for me. I responded again by cutting up the painting! (Hmmmmm.....is there a pattern here?)

I must have been looking at some Buddhist prayer flags somewhere that week; they were wafting through my mind. I began cutting banner shapes and pinning them to some scribbly lines strung obliquely across the now-defunct floral.


"Prayers on the Wind"

Later, at home, I cut more banner shapes in some orange and gold mulberry papers and added them to the line. The floral in the background all but disappeared, making a lovely textured backdrop for the flapping flags. I think the painting is a great success, and so did the friend who bought it and hung it in her home.

Inspiration:  Almost automatic, unconscious response to a frustrating situation. The images I used were things I'd seen recently, and something which I already had a strong emotional connection to.

No comments:

Post a Comment