Thursday, September 22, 2011

Serenity Calling

Today, I am wishing for a simpler, less complicated life. Maybe that's what drew me to this painting -- it reminds me of a time when, as children, my sister and I depended on each other and on a less complicated environment for entertainment.

One game we played will be recognized by many of you. One sister would pick a yellow flower (usually a dandelion in our world), hold it just beneath the chin of the other and look for the yellow reflection. If it was there, the answer to the question "do you like butter?" was "Yes!"  (Of  course, the yellow reflection was always there.)

Here in the high desert, if there has been sufficient water the autumn prior, springtime presents us with acres of yellow flowers -- California poppies. That sight took me straight back to childhood one day and I felt compelled to paint it.

"Do You Like Butter?"

The answer to the question is "Yes!"  Who doesn't like butter? And I like the peaceful, unspoiled landscape just north of my home, approximated here in "Do You Like Butter?"  I'm praying for rain now so we'll have poppies next spring!

Inspiration:  Memories of a simpler time, juxtaposed with that gorgeous New Mexico landscape.

No comments:

Post a Comment