Sunday, September 18, 2011

Instant Recognition

I create papers for collage without any idea of what the papers will eventually become. Just to enjoy the process is enough. Brilliant colors and unexpected textures are pure pleasure to me.

Textures are created through an endless variety of techniques. The brilliant orange and pink in the sky of this piece was created by pushing and wrinkling plastic wrap onto wet paint and then leaving it to dry. When I saw the dry piece later, I recognized the gorgeous colors of a New Mexico sunset. Then I recalled watching the swooping and diving silhouettes of nighthawks as they chased insects at sunset.

Photo courtesy of Kim Taylor http://www.flickr.com/photos/kim/6134931718/

I cut silhouette nighthawk shapes from various shades of blue and gray, then moved them around on the sunset background until I was pleased with the rhythm.

"Nighthawks at Sunset"

The mountains in the distant background were made by tearing shapes from grays and tans.

Inspiration:  Pure joy in the New Mexico sunset and in the paper colors and textures.

1 comment: