Friday, September 9, 2011

Sensual Overload

Some PLACES are magical, pulling expression from me with a wave of their magic wands. Mogollon is one of those places. My husband and I did the "ghost town tour" in 2007, visiting about 15 southwest New Mexico communities in various stages of abandonment. Of course Mogollon was on the tour.

Seven and a half years after that first visit to Mogollon, snapshots of moments there pop into my mind, begging to be expressed.  The little tin house that teetered on a rocky hill was one of those snapshots that just wouldn't wait. Everything, it seemed, was filling up my senses: crisp, cool air scented by huge pines; sparkling light playing hide and seek in the trees and winking at me through the cloud that had settled around us; birds of all kinds calling to each other from treetops and gliding down to grab goodies -- these and many other sensations were waving the magic wand.

"Tin House at Mogollon"

The painting begain with  wet-into-wet layers of liquid watercolors and acrylic inks. I had fun just watching the colors mingle and resist. After the paper was dry, I re-wet it and floated in some white acrylic ink to approximate the cloud that had wreathed the area. Then I cut the pieces for the little house, bushes, rocks and birds, and moved them around to find the best arrangement. When those decisions had been made, all was glued down and left to dry. Finally, I used paints to add details.

I like the finished painting. It takes me straight back to that gorgeous morning in Mogollon.


Inspiration:  the magical place, magical moment. Sensual overload. 

No comments:

Post a Comment