Friday, September 23, 2011

Two Souls, One Heart

From the first time I saw rock art in New Mexico, I was enchanted. Whether the people who made them ever thought they would be seen in another, far distant time, or maybe just thought of them like today's "taggers" think of their messages, we'll probably never know. But from my perspective, as a viewer in the 21st century, they are messages from the past. And just what the message says is left up to my interpretation -- reader relevance way beyond what my literature professor was talking about in freshman world literature.

The square shouldered anthropomorphic figure - single or in groups - is a theme that appears in rock art all over the world, covering many centuries of time. So it seems to be a theme that is common to all people.

"Two Souls, One Heart"
I find these themes and images so universal, so personal that they must be part of my own work. It's important, I think, not to literally copy the designs of other people and time, but by picking up the general idea of the image and placing it in my work together with my techniques and ideas, I'm extending the theme even farther.

"Two Souls, One Heart" was inspired by anthropomorphic figures in a group, combined with an ethereal background and ladders -- another image from a distant time that still has meaning for us. I like how it turned out, and may re-interpret the idea in the future.

Inspiration:  Rock art images from another time.

No comments:

Post a Comment