Thursday, September 15, 2011

Prickly Beauty

It's been said that cactus flowers are among the most beautiful flowers in the world. I think I agree with that. So amazing that these tough desert dwellers with vicious spines produce such beautiful blossoms. The common prickly pear is no exception.
Opuntia macrorhiza

I love the beautiful, ruffled yellow, gold and red flowers that appear in April (if we've had enough rain!) and continue into early summer. Bees and hummingbirds also like them!

"Prickly Beauty"

To show off the yellow flowers to their best advantage, I chose a violet and blue background. I layered the cactus pads, added some fruits and then scratched out thorns!

Inspiration: Another desert dweller, compelling and beautiful despite its nasty spines!

1 comment:

  1. You know how much I like flowers and cactus flowers are no exception. Beautiful, well-executed artwork!

    ReplyDelete