Saturday, September 24, 2011

Rusting Near Monticello

A 2007 visit to a ranch north of Monticello, New Mexico provided lots of photo opps. One sight that got my attention was two old cars, rusting away in someone's barnyard.  I took several photos of the old cars and filed the photos. A friend of mine liked the pix, too, and did this collage, which she called "Gentlemen: Start Your Engines."

"Gentlemen:  Start Your Engines!"

Then, this past summer I attended a Sterling Edwards workshop in Cloudcroft, New Mexico. In preparation for the workshop, I dug through my pile of resource photos and came up with this one, then added it to my workshop materials.

At the workshop, I pulled the photo out to work from for one of the exercises. The painting is little more than a sketch, but somehow a sense of humor and a flavor of the place came through.

"Rusting Near Monticello"

I couldn't resist putting the ravens in -- ravens are everywhere in the canyon! Enjoy!

Inspiration:  More old New Mexico stuff -- cars rusting away in the yard, New Mexico colors, and ravens!

No comments:

Post a Comment