Thursday, February 12, 2015

More Scribbling...

The second in what I hope will be a series of wild pots, here's "Scribbly Pots 2," just finished. I'm still feeling inspired by the wonderful tempera/ink technique learned in a workshop last month. Although I must admit I'm doing it my own way, not using it quite as it was taught. But I think that would be fine with the teachers, both very imaginative and expressive artists who believe in thinking outside the box.

Scribbly Pots 2
This work started with a poured background, using brilliant colors: quinacridone rose, nickel azo yellow and manganese blue. After drying completely, I used templates to decide where the pots should be, then drew around them. Next, I brushed on white tempera to protect certain areas, scribbled into the wet tempera with the handle of a brush, allowed the tempera to dry, then dribbled and brushed on sepia acrylic ink. When that was dry, the whole thing was scrubbed with a toothbrush in cool water. I stapled the wet paper to a board and allowed to dry, then began to paint back in with the same brilliant colors, pushing and pulling the pots into different positions. Last, with a tiny brush, I added the "sun" in the background with watercolor.

I'm still enjoying the technique, feeling inspired by the challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment