Friday, May 15, 2015

Imbibing Color, Texture and Surface!

Yesterday I decided to try painting on Aquabord again, and I think I'm completely SOLD on it now. My first intro was in a Robin L. Makowski workshop last year, where we painted quite realistically. Below is one of the pieces I did in that workshop - "Love of My Life," a portrait of our Nicodemus, who passed away in 2013.

Love of My Life

While I enjoyed the subject very much, I'm not too interested in the tight, realistic style. So when I decided to paint claret cup cactus on a piece of Aquabord yesterday, I thought I'd try a looser style that is more similar to how I generally paint.

Claret Cup
So in this case, not only the vibrant color of the claret cup (also known as hedgehog) cactus blossoms and the prickly texture of spines and other sticker-y stuff engaged me. I also was inspired to try a different painting surface. I think I like it and will be doing more on Aquabord.


No comments:

Post a Comment