Wednesday, January 28, 2015

Teaching New Tricks to Old Dogs

In this case, the old dog was a painting that had no life; colors were too subdued, character was just lost. I wanted to show my students how we might use a technique I learned in a recent workshop to give a "lost" painting new life. Wish I'd taken a photo of the before, you wouldn't believe the difference!
"Prickly Pear No. 342" (I must have painted yellow prickly pear blossoms at least that many times!
The "saving" technique included applying white tempera to areas of the painting, allowing it to dry, then drizzling black acrylic ink on top. After the ink was dry, I took it to the bathtub and, under running water, brushed (with a soft toothbrush) away most of the ink and the tempera. Then, while the painting was still damp, I dropped in more intense colors (my favorites - quin gold and quin rose!) and added more spines. Maybe not a masterpiece, but I think the technique saved something that belonged in the trash. See? You CAN teach an old dog new tricks!

No comments:

Post a Comment