Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Compelled to Paint!

Some subjects might be beyond inspirational. Some might compel the painter to run to the studio for paper and paint. That's how cactus flowers are for me. Compelling.

Colors that range from pastel to intense, complex layers of soft and feminine ruffles, strong angles of branching pads covered with spines -- cactus flowers are the ultimate study in contrasts. The perennial question about danger and beauty lingers every time I look at them.

My friend Gail invited me to come and photo her blooming cholla this week:

Cholla Blossoms, 5-6-13

"Cholla Ruffles," 1st Place winner at New Mexico Watercolor Society,
Southern Chapter 2013 Spring Membership Show

And this is just a little quick study I did a couple of years ago.
Well, I might have done an okay job of juxtaposing the soft ruffles against stickers, but I can see I have miles to go in conveying the intense magenta color of these blooms.  Guess I'll have to paint them again!

1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on the well deserved award! A perfect rendering of the colors and textures of the cholla cactus flowers... which has to be very difficult when working with watercolors. You've become a master of the medium!

    ReplyDelete