Saturday, April 7, 2012

Investigating Inspiration

In an effort to discover what creativity is all about, what inspires, I've attempted to categorize a group of paintings presented in this blog during August and September of 2011. What I found out is that it's not simple -- there's nothing simple about inspiration. It's complex, a combination of response to physical surroundings, all mixed up with memories from other times and places, images and ideas sparked by challenges, musing, and just looking at materials.


"Ghost Tricycle"
 Here's a perfect example:  "Ghost Tricycle" began as a demo at a NM Watercolor Society, Southern Chapter meeting in April of 2004. I got the original idea while visiting a nearby ghost town, Lake Valley, in 2003.  An old, rusting tricycle was sitting in what had been the front yard of a home. Not much is left of the houses, but the trike remained, kind of an homage to the child who once played there.

Not only the images of the old toy and the house, but the lonely feeling of the abandoned town, the sound of wind whistling around broken fences, the hot, peppery smell of the desert, the crunch of gravel and dried vegetation affected my senses that day.

Later, looking at my photo of the scene, I recalled riding tricycles with my sister, playing in the front yard of other homes, long ago.

All memories and senses combined in a particular mood as I cut and tore papers, choosing colors and textures inspired by those memories and senses.

Nothing simple about that. This is going to take a lot more introspection!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome back! I missed your blog.
    Some great info passed on here. You are so right...I, too, always try to recall the feel and sounds of what I was experiencing when I took a photo or painted a sketch. Your work has always been outstanding so it is helpful to know your process.

    ReplyDelete